EnerNex Strengthens West Coast Technical Consultancy Presence
EnerNex, a CESI company, today announced that it is bolstering its technical consultancy practice on the West Coast with Jens Schoene, Director of Research Studies, moving to Southern California. Schoene joins Kay Stefferud, Director of Implementation Services, in supporting the company’s strong relationships with major partners in the industry (large utilities, RTO/ISO, independent vendors). The move provides the company with the ability and flexibility to quickly respond to potential business and industry participation opportunities.
“To maintain and enhance our position as a leading provider of electric power engineering and consulting services, we found it crucial to have a strong foothold in California, which is undoubtedly a global leader in grid modernization and renewable energy. Fortunately, the expansion means that we have even more opportunities to serve our customers and work with our industry partners,” stated Jeff Lamoree, EnerNex CEO.
Jens Schoene, Ph.D., joined EnerNex in February 2007. In his capacity as a director, Jens has led and participated in a large variety of projects utilizing his extensive power systems modeling expertise stemming from decades of experience with steady-state, quasi-static time-series, dynamic, and transient studies.
While pursuing his doctorate degree, Jens was employed as a research assistant at the International Center for Lightning Research and Testing (ICLRT). In this capacity, Jens completed research projects (1) for Florida Power and Light (FPL) to investigate the lightning interaction with power distribution lines, (2) for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to investigate the threat of induced effects from nearby lightning to explosive storage bunkers, and (3) for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to investigate the threat of lightning strikes to aircrafts.
While pursuing his Diplom-Ingenieur degree, Jens was a research assistant at the High-Voltage Laboratory, University of Paderborn, Dept. Soest, Germany, where he designed and built a generator to simulate multiple lightning surge currents and voltages. His work on this project earned him the Adam-Herbert Award for outstanding accomplishments in the lightning protection area.
Jens is the Vice Chair of the IEEE PES ‘Distribution System State Estimation’ and ‘Lightning Performance of Overhead Lines’ Working Groups.
Jens is currently engaged in the design phase of Southern California Edison’s (SCE) Grid Management System (GMS) that will improve reliability and asset utilization, avoid DER-caused problems, and predict load response to market or other signals. In addition, Jens is evaluating the performance of Distribution System State Estimators (DSSE) for supporting the GMS Use Cases which EnerNex developed for SCE.
“Advanced Protection and Control for the Smart Grid,” Co-author of Chapter 6 in Smart Grids: Advanced Technologies and Solutions, 2nd Ed., Ed. S. Borlase, CRC Press, November 2017, with D. Kranzler and R. Simpson.
Articles Published In Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Schoene, J, M. Humayun, B. Russell, G. Sun, M. Zhong, J. Bui, A. Salazar, M. Lak, N. Badayos, “Quantifying Performance of Distribution System State Estimators in Supporting Advanced Applications,” IEEE Power and Energy Technology Systems Journal, 2019 (submitted).
- Nguyen, D., M. Velay, R. Hanna, J. Kleissl, J. Schoene, V. Zheglov, B. Kurtz, B. Torre, “High Photovoltaics Penetration Research Using High Resolution Resource Assessment with Sky Imager and Power System Simulation,” Solar Energy, July 2016.
- Caramanis, M., E. Ntakou, W. W. Hogan, A. Chakrabortty, J. Schoene, “Co-Optimization of Power and Reserves in Dynamic T&D Power Markets With Nondispatchable Renewable Generation and Distributed Energy Resources,” Proceedings of the IEEE Publishes Special Issue on Control Challenges in Microgrids and the Role of Energy-Efficient Buildings, June 2016.
- Schoene, J, M. Humayun, B. Russell, G. Sun, M. Zhong, J. Bui, A. Salazar, M. Lak, N. Badayos, B. Poudel, “Update on Integrating Distribution System State Estimation for Applications in Advanced Distribution Management Systems,” DistribuTECH 2020, San Antonio, Texas, USA, February 2020 (accepted).
- Schoene, J, B. Russell, M. Humayun, “Implementation of DSSE into Utility Grid Operation,” IEEE PES General Meeting, Atlanta, USA, August 2019.
- Humayun, M., J. Schoene, B. Poudel, B. Russell, G. Sun, J. Bui, A. Salazar, N. Badayos, M. Lak, C. Clarke, M. Zhong, “Quantifying Distribution System State Estimation Accuracies Achieved By Adding Telemetry and Operational Forecasting,” IEEE SoutheastCon, Huntsville, Alabama, USA, April 2019.
- Humayun, M., V. Zheglov, J. Schoene, L. Freeman, B. Sloboda, R. Garcia, “Evaluating GridBridge’s GER Smart Device Performance on Distribution Feeders with High PV Penetration,” IEEE PES General Meeting, Atlanta, USA, August 2019.
- Adhikari, S., J. Schoene, N. Gurung, A. Mogilevsky, ““Fault Induced Delayed Voltage Recovery (FIDVR): Modeling and Guidelines,” IEEE PES General Meeting, Atlanta, USA, August 2019 (accepted).
- Schoene, J, M. Humayun, B. Russell, G. Sun, M. Zhong, J. Bui, A. Salazar, M. Lak, N. Badayos, B. Poudel, “Distribution System State Estimation for Applications in Advanced Distribution Management Systems,” DistribuTECH 2019, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, February 2019.
- Schoene, J., M. Humayun, V. Zheglov, B. Poudel, A. Gebeyehu, “Investigation of Oscillations Caused by Voltage Control from Smart PV on a Primary System,” IEEE Power Systems Conference, Clemson University, September 2018.
- Hossan, M.S., B. Chowdhury, J. Schoene, S. Bahramirad, “Advanced Distribution Management System: Implementation, Assessment, and Challenges,” IEEE PES General Meeting, Portland, OR, USA, August 2019.
- Schoene, J., M. Humayun, V. Zheglov, B. Poudel, A. Gebeyehu, “Evaluation of the Effectiveness and Robustness of Residential-Scale Smart Photovoltaics”, IEEE PES T&D Conference and Exposition, Denver, CO, USA, April 2018.
# # # #
Carrie Owens, Director of Marketing and Communications